Friday, December 10, 2010

Respect

Respect is a very important attribute in every relationship.  When you think of a leader/follower or manager/subordinate relationship, especially in the military, respect from the follower/subordinate up is often assumed, based upon the hierarchy of the relationship alone.  However, is the same true from the top down?

A good leader should absolutely display sincere respect toward those below him.  You cannot beat mutual respect in a relationship to ensure it lasts and functions the way it was intended.

Most of the people I have worked for did gain my respect by treating me with respect. These leaders made me feel important, ensured I felt that I was part of the team, took a personal interest in me and my family, and encouraged me.  When I had the privilege of serving as a commanding officer, I worked hard to do the same to those in my command. To be honest, it just made sense to me.

The Golden Rule; treat others as you would like to be treated, is the basis for displaying respect toward someone.  The majority of the people I have encountered, live by this rule without thinking.

Unfortunately, I have met some people who have never heard of this rule.  I've worked for some people who seemed to look down on people who worked for them and basically treated them like crap.  It was obvious they had no respect for people "below" them, and I will admit, I had little personal respect for them.  Sure, I did respect their rank and position, but not the individual.

In relationships like this, where there is little respect, there is not a lot of motivation to go out of your way to do something for this person. Why bother, since it won't be appreciated.  When this happens on a large scale, for example, on a ship, this can be the root of low morale.

It is difficult for me to comprehend how some people can treat others so poorly.  Since I have no control over these types of people, I suppose I should just concentrate on what I can do and continue to follow that Golden Rule.



"If you have some respect for people as they are, you can be more effective in helping them to become better than they are." John W. Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment